We all have those recipes that pull you back to childhood, right? Most of my family grew up in the country and biscuits and gravy was a staple breakfast food on the weekend. I was appalled to find out some of my “city folk” friends had no clue what I meant by biscuits and gravy. A common response was “you put turkey gravy on your biscuit and eat it for breakfast”. Bless your soul and all your vital organs, no…BUT I will smother a buttery biscuit in some homemade sausage gravy and eat it until my stomach and esophagus are at full capacity.
During my vegan days, I decided to take a crack at making vegan biscuits and gravy because I was just missing the fat and salt on a Sunday. Slowly, overtime, I adjusted my recipe for the gravy and I believe I have finally mastered it.
I flip flop on what kind of biscuits I use. Sometimes I am craving flaky biscuits you can peel layer by layer and other times I want a dense biscuit that will hold its own against the gravy. And other times….I just eat the gravy (shhhhh).
Recipe: About 4-5 Servings
1 Package Lightlife Gimme Lean Meatless Veggie Sausage
1/2 Medium Onion, Diced
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan Butter
1-3 Tablespoons Flour
2-3 Cups Original Soy Milk
Salt + Pepper (To Taste)
Oregano (To Taste)
Served over biscuits.
- Combine jalapeno, onion, oregano and garlic in a skillet with a small amount of butter. Place over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Add veggie sausage and heat until lightly browned.
- Melt Vegan Butter into sausage and then add enough flour to coat the sausage. Heat for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add soy milk into sausage mixture while continuously stirring. Over medium-low heat bring mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened. Add seasoning.
- Remove from heat, pour over biscuits, and enjoy!